Friday, June 22, 2012

Life is Tweet

I just love the June Stamp of the month "Life is Tweet" set.  The large bird is so cute, I had to use it for this month's club.  I also wanted to use the new Color ready ribbon Close To My Heart offers.  It just so happens that Ribbon is the theme for this weeks challenge at Heart 2 Heart blog this week.
Here is my card front:

Here is the inside of the card...

For the Ribbon, I used the Waterbrush to wet the ribbon, then I dragged it through the Creme Brulee stamp pad using a sponge to hold it down.  Then I crumpled it up and used a heat gun to dry it.  Then adhered it to the front of the card using Tombow adhesive, wrapping the end under the Lagoon colored paper.

The technique I used to color the bird is called Reverse Masking.  Here is a step by step of how to do that.
First stamp your image on white card stock using regular black ink.
Then I made two reverse mask stencils by stamping the bird on scrap pieces of cardstock.  Then cutting out one so that the belly is exposed.  On the second one I cut it out so that the rest of the upper body is exposed but not the belly.  I used my scissors to cut or you can use an exacto knife.  See the pictures below (by the time I took the picture my templates were well used)
These are the ink pad colors I used with matching sponges.  Creme Brulee, Smoothie, Sweet Leaf and Lagoon.
 Start with the belly mask and line it up.  Using the sponge add Creme Brulee ink until you like how it looks.  I used a blotting motion at first and then a light scrubbing motion to get it to the edges.
Then add some Smoothie ink I just blotted it on where the three black dots are.
This is what it looks like when you remove the mask.
Next you want to put the upper body mask on.  I started with Sweet leaf green and just put it on the lower part of the template.
Then I added the Lagoon ink to the top part of the bird.
This is what it looks like when you remove the mask.
The last thing I did was use a Creme Brulee marker to color in the beak and the feet.
I hope that description was helpful and you can creat your own stencils using the reverse masking technique.  Thanks and have a great day!

4 comments:

Amy Moore said...

Beautiful card! I love the scrunched ribbon look and your bird is fabulous. Thanks for the tutorial! Even though there are more steps involved in the masking, the results are well worth it! Thanks for sharing on Heart 2 Heart!

Mary Gunn FUNN said...

What great colors on your birdie! He is a cutie pie! Thanks so much for the tutorial and sharing on H2H!

S`andra V. said...

Love the card, I love your technique for the coloring in the bird. Sponges are pretty cool!. Ribbon is cute too!
Thanks for sharing!!
Happily Scrapbooking & Crafting My Memories~Sandra V.
http://OhMyScraps2U.blogspot.com

Allisa said...

Gorgeous coloring on your bird image! Thanks for sharing with us at H2H!